In Guatemala, families living in remote areas have difficulties accessing health care services due to a lack of transportation to facilities, resources, or language barriers. Fundanier, founded in 2003, provides outpatient services, hemodialysis, dialysis and kidney transplant services to children, especially those from low-income families.
Many Guatemalan families still face the difficulties of the remoteness of their communities that limit the times they can take their children to receive treatment in a clinic. To account for this, Fundanier, in collaboration with Bridge of Life and Habitat for Humanity Guatemala (HFHG), has developed the Health Care Module for children with kidney disease to create safe and secure spaces and environments for the health and well-being of the family.
The Health Care Module
The Module is built one meter away from the home of the families, creating a passageway with the existing home. The main objective of this Module is to promote a safe and healthier environment for the personalized treatment of patients with kidney disease living in remote communities of the country. Additionally, this module aims to:
- Provide families with a durable structure strategically located to the side of the existing home for patient access.
- Improve current hygiene conditions in the home by accessing water through a rainwater harvesting system outside of the home, and hygiene areas through the installation of a sink and washing station.
- Expand current home environments by amplifying the construction footage of the home and reducing overcrowding in other built spaces.
Peritoneal Dialysis Room
- 3.00m x 3.00m block and wood structure
- Includes: rainwater collection system, outdoor handwashing station, metal door and windows, solar panel, water filter, chair, table and shelves.
- Design structure can be customized to meet family needs
- Cost: approximately $7,500.00 USD
- Built 8 safe and durable structures for home-based peritoneal dialysis care (from September 2022 to March 2023
- Improved access to water and hygiene for participating families
- Healthier and brighter futures for children
- Alliances with local and international partners that fund and support this Mission for Life project